Sunday, April 19, 2009

the funeral business...

As most of you know, I work at a funeral home here in Fayetteville. I am going to clear up any confusion about my occupation of choice - well, gift.
I started this job eight months ago and it has been a whirl wind ever since. I never imagined setting foot into a funeral home by choice, much less laughing while I am there. Thankful isn't quite the word to describe my expression for my job...I think 'blessed' is more accurate. It has been a hard job because it is unlike anything I have every done in my life...ever. And it has taken a long time to become familiar with how a funeral home functions.
A typical day consists of writing obituaries, filling out death certificates, calling doctors that still need to sign a death certificate, printing memorial folders, a lot of typing on yes, a typewriter, spending a lot of time on the phone answering questions about service times, and accepting payments for services.
It can definitely be a sad job at times...especially when children or young people have passed away. However, I have begun to take pride in my humble position of being able to take care of specifialy needed things that the family shouldn't have to think on further.
Yes, there are days that I have cried. A specifically sad day was when a little baby had died from the very same illness that doctors said would take Caleb's life. Tears and a sigh of gratefulness filled my heart, knowing that my Caleb is almost 5 years old and healthy.
One main question that I get is, "how can you work in a funeral home, knowing that there are dead (whispered) people there?" Honestly, i think that knowing death isn't the finale; knowing there is truly life after death is an amazing comfort. When I see anyone that has passed (and I don't see them much since I work in the office) I know that the person that was so loved by their family is no longer there, this is only their vessel.
The most grateful thing is that I can take care of my kids more and more financially. I DO miss being at home with them...it is hard seeing them only for a few hours everyday, but I do what I have to do - for them. It is all for them...as a parent, we often do things that are difficult knowing that the end result is far better than the discomfort of the situation. It is called sacrifice. My job is a job, but it is also a true gift. One gift that I am so very thankful to have, even on the hard days, I am thankful.

No comments: